I currently have a Lami-cell competitor. I love the harness and the general 'fit' of this helmet... However its not very cool in the summer, and it doesn't have a removable liner which makes washing it a PITA. (Did I already mention that I sweat a lot?)

So I took some time on the weekend when I was Christmas shopping and looked at some helmets. What really sucks is that in the Maritimes there are very few tack store options. So I was only able to try on some IRH's, Charles Owens, and Tipperary.
I did like the IRH Xtreme, but they only had it in gray. And personally wearing a helmet and riding western can look funny enough, I'd rather have a black helmet (and black will go with all of my show clothes that I already own).

Yup too light.
The Tipperary helmets didn't fit right at all (or at least didn't feel comfortable). Troxel helmets all have those stupid adjustable clips on the back that I don't like.
I did like the Charles Owen Gr8, but at 340 dollars I just couldn't commit. The Jr8 only has a different harness but I really didn't like the fit of the harness.
So that's where I'm at. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? I'm leaning more towards the IRH because I think it will be cooler, but I know that CO has a 'return' policy of sorts if you fall off with one of their helmets....
4 comments:
I have an IRH Elite EQ that I love. Super comfortable, only one I've owned in years that doesn't bother me. IRH does have a replacement policy (http://www.irhhelmets.com/accident_replacements.php) it's not free, but it's cheaper. The lining is removable and washable. I believe I paid around 199 for mine in April. A quick google search says they go for anywhere from 199-260ish. Props to you for showing western in a helmet. My 4H Members complain about it. I didn't as a youth, but if I ever go back to the western arena you can bet a helmet will be on my head.
I love my IRH, but I also have it in black. I like grey for the hunters, but not for western.
Love my IRH!
Thanks everyone, bought a IRH today see today's post for details.
Post a Comment