I've been slacking on the blogging. Although this blog really started out as a way for me to deal with some difficult feelings and health issues when I was diagnosed with RA and a lump on my thyroid it blended into more of a riding/horse focused blog over the past 5-6 years (OMG has it really been that long?!?). So if anyone out there is still reading.. what do you guys want to read? I'm not getting much riding time lately, and my showing this summer is going to be limited... Do you guys want stories of my past as a head groom/trainer before RA got in the way? More about my everyday life? Help me keep writing!
So heres a recap and relfection on the goals from last year (you can find that post here)
1) Ride different horses. Even if its just the kids horses, more saddle time on different horses will make me more confidant.
Again not so much of a win here... I rode Chilly and Oscar most of the spring/summer and I did get to ride Lucy a couple of times. I guess I also got to ride 2 different lesson horses this fall so I guess it wasn't too bad.
2) Try to continue to ride at least twice a week.
Done! At least until the fall, when the move to the city took over my life
3) To have more "wow look what we just did" moments weather at home or at shows.
Done! I was so proud of Chilly and I this summer. From an unbroken 3yo to kicking but in the show pen 6 months later is a huge accomplishment for anyone, let alone someone with health issues. Chilly was one in a million though, and she is very happy with her new owners.
4) To have some serious plans to be out of my parents house and be closer to work by this time next year. Its going to mean moving away from the barn but part of the plan is going to be finding a way to ride.
Done! I now have a 6 minute drive to work, it is so great you have no idea. The lack of riding time sucks but hopefully in the new year I'll figure something out.
5) To show this summer. Doesn't matter what horse or where but I want to show. I'd really love it to be with Chilly. (And maybe Lucy at the exhibition lol)
Done! Took Chilly to 5 shows this summer and had so much fun with her.
6) To make myself go out and interact with people who might not necessarily be horse related.
Done! I'm even dating... who would have thought?
7) To try to get out to a clinic or two this year and ride in them!
Done! I got to two clinics with an old trainer friend and I took 2 lessons, one with my old trainer that I hadn't ridden with in a while and one new trainer.
I'm going to set some more reachable goals for next year, and might even update later this spring when I have a better hold on what I have time/money for and what I don't.
1) To get out of my box more and interact with new people. Join club or fundraising group, something.
2) To get into some kind of lesson program to get riding on a semi-regular basis again.
3) To get to a show and show in a couple of classes
4) To continue with this walk/run thing when my feet are good enough and the weather cooperates.
1 comment:
The last year has been pretty good for you! You accomplished so much. Good for you.
I, for one, would be quite interested in your experiences as a trainer and head groom. :-)
Post a Comment