I really like the pattern classes. For the most part you don't need a fantastic mover, and if you work hard you can improve. Something that isn't always possible in the rail classes. In those classes your talent can only take you so far, and the money takes over (to buy a better moving horse!).
And this is where me and Oscar agree. Although at one point an extremely talented horse, trainers kept pushing and pushing him to be better and flatter. He was pushed hard to be perfect for the pleasure classes, and now really doesn't like showing in them. Over the past couple of years with C+D's help his owner has been able to keep him happy while still being able to show him. Shes added pattern classes to his show day, and has even shown him in reining classes to show him that it is ok to go fast and that he would not be punished.
So our focus for the next couple of months is going to be on showmanship and horsemanship (the only 2 classes that I think we are going to enter in the show next month.) Thanks to the incoming hurricane today was showmanship day in the indoor!
Its really funny but when I trotted off I forgot how slow western horses go! I went the Lucas speed I was used to, but Oscar wanted to go his speed. We worked it out and have settled on an easy jog for me which is a good striding jog for him. Hes a little sloppy on his stops, and our set ups are still a little funky occasionally (still really trying to get each other figured out). But I'm really excited to figure out a new horse.

No comments:
Post a Comment