Yesterday Lucas got some new turnout buddies. Hes been biting and chasing the geldings he was out with and keeping them away from the hay so C and D needed to find a place to put him. The two yearling had some room in there turnout so we tried him in there yesterday. Both yearlings chased him into the corner of the paddock and kept him there for 20 min. Once Chick had decided that he had waited long enough she let him out of the corner and let him eat hay at one of the piles. She's only about 14 hands but she's the boss!

Lucas being kept away from the hay
Today I went out and Lunged the crap out of him before getting on to ride him. I decided that if the 13 year old kid can beat him enough with her legs to get him to trot without him getting 'stuck' than so could I! So I walked him for a couple of min and worked on the trail stuff that was set up in the ring, then I asked him to trot off, which of course he didn't want to do!
So I grabbed the horn with my outside hand kept my inside on the reins and started kicking with both legs, and I think he was so startled by me doing that he just trotted right off. I should mention that I didn't have any spurs on so it was just my legs but he moved off nicely after that! I only rode him for about 10 min in total but I wanted him to realize that trotting off when I ask doesn't always mean more work, it only means I want him to trot.
I'm happy with the way he looked when L rode him on Friday, so I need to remember that this is suppose to be fun! Just trying to make him perfect all of the time does nothing but piss us both off. He knows his job we just need to work together.
So I grabbed the horn with my outside hand kept my inside on the reins and started kicking with both legs, and I think he was so startled by me doing that he just trotted right off. I should mention that I didn't have any spurs on so it was just my legs but he moved off nicely after that! I only rode him for about 10 min in total but I wanted him to realize that trotting off when I ask doesn't always mean more work, it only means I want him to trot.
I'm happy with the way he looked when L rode him on Friday, so I need to remember that this is suppose to be fun! Just trying to make him perfect all of the time does nothing but piss us both off. He knows his job we just need to work together.
1 comment:
I think it's funny that the yearlings sort of let him have it. I guess they have his number. Lucas seems a little stubborn about the trot. Do you carry a crop, sometimes just carrying it and not using it works.
Post a Comment