Well it warmed up to +5 today so we decided to turn the hot water on and give some baths! The baby Appaloosa didn't get a bath in the wash bay, but she did get hot water and mild soap hauled out to the foaling stalls to get cleaned up. The mare has come into her 9 day heat, and the poor baby has the runs like crazy.
Lucas was next and must have been itchy because he was a super star in the wash bay. He stood still and didn't freak out about the bubbles like he normally does. (Tell me how can a show horse that has been bathed as many times as he has still be scared of bubbles!?!)
It was so nice to get the grime out of his legs, tail and mane! He also got clipped (just bridle path and nose hairs, his ears don't get touched in the winter) so he is ready for spring.
Someday he makes me wonder, I have shaved his legs in March for the past 2 years to keep the mud from sticking too them too bad, and giving him another case of mud fever. (Just up to his fetlocks) Anyways I really don't like clipping legs because its hard on my knees/ankles to be bent down like that for as long as it will take to clip him, so today I dragged a stool over to him and sat on it while I clipped all 4 legs. And he stood like a rock for me while I twisted all around him trying to make sure I didn't make too much of a mess of it. How he thinks that is ok and fine, but the bubbles from his bath are horse eating monsters that will eat him from the feet up I have no idea!
I'm hopefully going to ride tomorrow, but more than likely it will be little more than a walk around the ring a couple of times. The Lungs are ok during short tasks (stairs) but I think too much rising trot would be rough on me right now!
Lucas after his bath, sorry for the light it kinda ruined the shot!

No comments:
Post a Comment