Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lucas' feet

Well it didn't load the pictures the way I wanted it to but here it goes.

Left Hind



Left front
Right Front (Bad one)


And yes you are seeing that right, his right leg is longer than his left and his foot is what the farrier can keep under control so its kept shorter than the left.

He really should have a shoe that is longer to provide heal support, but he rips his shoes off too often as it is.


Right hind

1 comment:

in2paints said...

Well, keep in mind I'm no expert and I'm still learning, but I see a lot of Lilly's old hooves in Lucas's hooves. It's interesting how different each hoof looks!

His rear hooves don't look bad, but I think his right hind heels are too high and his left hind heels are a bit underrun. Your farrier seems to be doing a good job keeping his toes nice and short, although I think the toe on his left hind is a bit too short. If you set the heels down a bit it would probably help. I'd be curious to see some other views to see what his heels look like.

His front hooves worry me a bit. I had the same issue with Lilly as far as her pulling her shoes off. We fixed it by putting smaller shoes on her, but then she wasn't getting any heel support. That's what I see on Lucas. It's hard to see his left front, but his heels really need to come down. The angle of his hoof is off and if I try to imagine how his coffin bone is sitting, I would guess he has a negative palmar angle.

The right front actually looks better to me than his left front. His heels aren't as long, although they're running under a bit, and his shoe is way too small. If you could bring the heels back, it would make a big difference. Also, look at his hairline... if you draw a straight line from the point of his coronet band down to the back of his hoof, you'll see that his hairline is really jammed up. It also looks like his quarters bulge out a bit, just like Lilly's did.

The only way for us to bring Lilly's heels back was to take the shoes off. Any other method we tried with shoes just resulted in her ripping off the shoe. That's probably the case with Lucas too.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.