Happy Easter everyone. I went to the barn early this am and helped D and C do chores and asked if D could give me a 20 min lesson so I could deal with Lucas' issues from the other day. Lucas was so much better, maybe the crowed watching made me nervous but he was much better today.
D set some cones up with 4 in a square forming a 20 meter circle and one cone in the middle. We were to trot/jog the inner circle that the cones made and then 2-track out and canter the outside of the cones. Once you had cantered a circle or two, you come back to a trot 2 track back into the circle and continue to do the inner circle.
Lucas was good at first when we were both getting the hang of it, but as we progressed, and asked him to step underneath himself more he fought a bit harder. He was capable of doing it, he just didn't want to. At one point rather than trot correctly (as we were encouraging him to reach and not just 'jog' around) he decided if we wanted forward that was what we were going to get! So he thought he would canter the small circle (about 10-15 meters) well he only thought that was a good idea after I let him do it once or twice. If I tried to make him trot he just got hotter and hotter... once he tried it and realized that it wasn't going to get him anything but working harder he quit with the attitude and settled down and worked.
Were down to almost a month before the first show, time to get in the english saddle, but I did need one more confidence building ride in a western saddle!
1 comment:
Things have a way of working themselves out. I am sure everything will fall into place. :-)
Happy Easter!
Post a Comment