Has to be a new record for me, but I'm paying for it tonight! Just ehausted! I went for a ride last night outside, managed to get on by myself (backed him into the fence again, if it works, it works.) He got stuck a bit at first but moved out fine after that. We did some trot work to warm up, then worked on some walk, trot and halt transitions. Its funny that he tries getting stuck when I first get on him but did some great halt/trot and halt/canter transitions during the ride. Its very possible that hes a bit cold-backed, anyone ever dealt with one that couldn't be fixed buy lunging?
So we did a bunch of equation exercises with some cones that were scattered around the arena. It was good to work on as he often thinks that because he is near a cone he might be asked to do something and starts to anticipate. It will be hard to practice a pattern at a show, as he will remember what we are doing and really anticipate when we get in the show ring. His canter was better tonight, but still a bit slow. I just let him go last night, we were having a good ride and working on confidence, speed is an easy thing to add!!
Im trying to get a video but it may have to wait a bit, trying to coordinate a dry day (so we can be outside) with someone around who can operate my cell phone is apparently hard to do. Im trying though I promise!!
2 comments:
Wow, three rides in four days....I would be in pain if I did that. :-) Can you explain what "stuck" and "cold-back" means? Looking forward to your video!
Well "stuck" is my name for what Lucas does when he doesn't want to go forword. He basicly plants all 4 feet and throws his head in the air. He'll move up the pressure (of not wanting to go forword) by stomping his front feet, then small amounts of rearing.
Most times I catch him just when he plants all 4 feet and throws his head, some days we get all the way to where his front feet actually leave the ground slightly!
'Cold backed' is when you have a horse that may buck or scoot a little when you first saddle them up or get on them. Most of the time if you lunge them or work them in the round pen there backs will warm up and they will be fine. Some horses just need the girth done up very slowly (Lucas is like this, I do it up hole by hole as I lunge him keeps him much happier.)
Post a Comment