Well we didnt make it to our horse expo today. The dumping of snow that we got yesterday (16cm in 5 hours) just made the roads too bad. So we spent the day puttering around with her dogs, cats and husband. And then she broke her tooth of (her front one!) Its the one that is 1/2 fake due to a freek accident when she was a kid, so not like a 'real' tooth breaking. Thankfully she was able to get in to see the emergancy dentist, and got a temporay cap on it untill Monday.
Shes also scedualed to go have surgery, to repair the tendon in the knee that she broke last year, in a couple of weeks. Its going to mean some serious time off for her 3 year olds (a HUS gelding, and a WP mare) so we had a talk about what shes going to do with them. Shes in the same frame of mind that I am, we love QH's, we love the people that love QH's... we just dont like what some people are doing to 'win'. She had her HUS in training for Nov. and Dec. but pulled him due to the trainers antics. And this is a guy we KNOW, shes 10min from the barn and there every night but there was still bad stuff going on.
For example we worked the two 3yo today the WP mare got shown last year but the HUS horse just got broke out. We figure they are going to need a couple of months each to go and show localy. The HUS gelding needs travel miles, the WP mare needs a refesher (shes been off since sept)
Compare that to the 3yo the 'trainer' was riding today. That gelding was so distorted and crooked going down the rail he never got to go straight for more than a stride, hes been ridden since he was 2 and had his hocks injected 2x already. His owner is a nice lady but thinks that if she paid big money for the horse and training she wants to win.
I guess we just love our horses too much.
Lucas got his shoes on Friday Am so the plan is that Im going to go drive him tomorrow and do some more playing around, hopefully next weekend Ill be riding again!!
1 comment:
I don't think you love your horses too much, you just care about how they're treated and trained. Stick to your guns - there are good people out there in the QH world just like in all the disciplines, but they're sometimes hard to find. I do all my own work with horses now (with some adult supervision from Mark Rashid when I get the chance to ride with him), and I don't show, so that makes it easier. I have one QH and I'm about to get a second (to go with the wild TB!).
Post a Comment