Don't know if you've noticed yet or not but I'm a big believer in ground work. Today we went out and did some showmanship set ups, and working with cones (and my ability to to figure out when to stop in relation to them!). Our trot to halt transitions were not so hot. I need to loosen up my upper body so that he can see me moving more... I don't think my stiffness is helping his reading my body language. Then I got the whip out (as a hand extension) and did some turn on the forehand and then some side passing while on the ground. He was reasonably good he tyred kicking, and biting me but gave up after a bit of a fight and went along with it. Its nothing he doesn't know how to do, I wonder what goes on in his brain sometimes that makes him think that striking out is ok when you are frustrated.
Leg is fantastic!! He had another good turnout in the indoor we're hoping by the weekend that we might be able to turn him out outside for a bit. I'm going to start driving him soon to start working up both our fitness levels so we'll be ready to ride by the end of the month.
I was noticing tonight that Lucas has really adapted to what I can and cannot do. I cant hold my hand flat to feed him treats so he eats them out of my fingers, and is very care full to only pick the treats with his lips. He also picks his legs up funny (because I cannot wrap my hand around his leg) and holds them up on his own so I can use both hands to pick out his feet. He is also very good to lead (even when not working working on showmanship) and is very good about haltering and bridling.
No comments:
Post a Comment