Lucas finally got to play with a buddy today for the first time since he got hurt! One of the kids had just finished riding when I got to the barn today (who's horse used to go out with Lucas) and I asked her if we could 'borrow' him for a bit so with the BO blessings we turned him out with Lucas in the indoor. By this time Lucas had already had his turnout time in the indoor earlier, and this gelding had been worked decently hard so we thought there would be less chance of them running too much.
Well it kinda worked. Lucas was doing donuts around the younger gelding, biting him and rearing at him trying to get him to play! And they didn't do too much it was actually better when the other gelding gave in and ran a bit because then Lucas wasn't bucking and rearing, he would just trot after him. They played for about 5 minutes then groomed each other for 10. I think Lucas was missing the horsey interaction.
And there was no difference between the front legs when they were done. No extra heat or swelling even quite a bit later. Hopefully were on the upswing!
3 comments:
Oh, no swelling afterwards sounds good.
I bet he was so happy!! Sounds like they both enjoyed the time to play together. I'm also glad to hear he's on the mend!
Yes :) We're still giving him more time off from 'work' but we are going to introduce more turnout time with other horses in the indoor over the next two weeks. Conditions outside will have to be good for him to go out, but Im sure he misses the 'horse' interaction so hopefully this will help.
Post a Comment