Monday, November 28, 2011

Another update

Well things have been good here, Lucas is still not sold but we have had several promising phone calls so our fingers are still crossed.

Max is doing good, he now walks, trots, and canters and halts both directions with very little going wrong. He does occasionally try to stop, but if that's the worse that he does, that's not so bad! We hope to have the saddle on him in another week or two so that we can start ground driving him a bit in December. Once that is done he'll have a bit of a break over the coldest months to grow up a bit more.

And I actually got to ride a little bit on the weekend! Lucy, who gave birth to Chilly last March, is finally over the cut she got to her leg in early August. (Shes been sound on it for 2 months but C and D wanted to play it safe) So C got on her for a few minutes to make sure she wasn't too fresh and then I got on. It was so funny! Lucy is only about 15.1 hands (but old style QH, she wears the same girth as Lucas, on almost the same hole) and short backed. Lucas is too, but it was so different on a smaller horse! It also felt like she had NO neck, but I know she really does, its just not as long as Lucas. I realized that shes the first horse that I've ridden since I bought Lucas that wasn't him. It was just weird (although in a nice way too).

I kept trying to make Lucy trot out, and C kept telling me to slow down, poor Lucy must have been very confused. It was extremely nice to have smooth gaits and the slower speed of a WP horse. Even though I thought Lucas wasn't too rough, my back and joints didn't even bother me the next day after riding Lucy, and they would have if I had ridden Lucas.

Its been a couple of months now but Im sure now Im making the right direction. As much as I love Lucas hes not the right horse for me anymore. If the WP thing works out I might be able to ride for more than an hour without being completely exhausted and sore.

1 comment:

Wolfie said...

Glad for you that you got to ride this weekend and that you weren't sore the next day. :-)