Tuesday, November 15, 2011

CBC.ca | The Sunday Edition | Horse Whisperer

A lovely essay by Michael Enright about horses, and Hickstead;

CBC.ca The Sunday Edition Horse Whisperer


In other horsey news 'Project Pony' aka Max the 2 year old I'm working with is coming along in leaps and bounds! Hes now lunging both directions at all three gaits, although still not very smooth, he is staying out on the circle and not changing directions unless asked! We're also working on setting up for showmanship/halter and that is going well too! (Hes a very smart pony) We started working on teaching him the basics of a showmanship pivot and hes got the correct idea "oh I need to cross my front legs to do this!" but gets tangled up in his own legs at that point.

Its so much fun to TEACH a horse something instead of having a horse just be mad at me because Im not doing it correctly. On that side Lucas is having some fun being a temporary lesson pony while he waits for a new person. Hes likes the work, and the variety of it so I guess hes happy. He looks fitter than he was with me so I think I made the right choice for me at this point.

The RA is ok, the changing temps always do a number on me at this time of year. I would really like to loose some weight but the walking/biking/working outside thing doesn't work when I hurt. Bad cycle of not enough exercises causing weight gain which causes more pain which causes less exercise.

No comments: