So yesterday I asked D who I was riding, I told him I'd ride anyone but Oscar (he's been demoted to walk/trot occasional canter workout pony. Lessons on him are just too tough on me). D told me I could ride Oscar or Chilly. After me questioning him about making sure he was sure, I ran off to get her tacked up.
So it it was an interesting ride. We were only supposed to ride with one other horse/rider who is experienced and she's been out with that horse in her field several times and is comfortable with him. One of the kids got added at the last minute (nothing against the kid shes a good rider!) it was just another body in the ring with a young horse. Our first 5 minutes were rough, both of us were confused with each other, she was worried about there being 2 other horses in the ring, and she could hear D but the fact that it was me on her back and not him confused her.
And I was in 'broke horse' mode and not 'baby horse' mode. Once we got jogging and passing the other horses (and having them pass her) we BOTH settled down and went to work. I started planning 10 steps ahead, and she started relaxing threw her body and using her back.
So we jogged and walked and worked on getting us both comfortable, and then Chilly's battery ran out and she started quitting trotting on me. I kept her going, but each walk pause was getting longer and longer. D has used the end of the rein flapped on her bum to get her going, and I knew (in my head) that she understood that, and has never over reacted. (but shes still a baby) So I gathered up my courage grabbed the horn and flipped the end of the rein toward her bum. She casually jogged off, no big deal.
After about a half hour D let me get off, and he got on her to work with her a bit more. We were hitting a wall and she was getting sulky about other horses getting to stop or walk when I wanted her to keep going. So D would put her to work for a minute or two, then sit and let her rest while he taught the other two riders then he would let them walk for a minute while Chilly went to work. He ended on a good note, and all three of us were pleased with how the first ride for me went with her.
We did a little showmanship today, to work on her pivots and to give her a good brush to get rid of the left over sweat marks from yesterday. Its really coming along. She's such a smart filly.
And get this D (who NEVER shows) thinks that he might show her a little this summer as well. And that if we do go to the September QH show maybe he'll show her in the green and Jr classes!
And for your viewing pleasure (sorry for the crappy quality, the indoor is not a great place to take pictures)
Chilly and D.
Chilly and D.



No comments:
Post a Comment