Chilly is amazing. We've be lunging and driving her, and C has been on her while still on the lungline. Teaching her to go in a circle, stop, back up, and go. Monday night after her 'ride' (we lunge for 10 min, and C gets on her for 5) C looked at me and said "do you want to get on?". I'm a big believer in not putting too much weight on babies but I couldn't resist. I grabbed my helmet, boots and moved the mounting block up to her. Thankfully all of my mounting block prep work paid off and I was able to step off the mounting block and swing my leg over her without her even blinking. It was so cool! I haven't ridden a young green horse since before I even got diagnosed. Shes a big baby though. Already she's taller than Lucy, and is using the same girth set up as Oscar. She was very unconcerned that I was now on her back, and C was leading her around and she let me rub her all over as we took a couple of trips around the ring. C led her the entire time and our indoor isn't very big, but I was so happy to be on her back.
Last night I took advantage of the warm (er) weather and took her out for the first trip to the outdoor. Lucy, as you'll remember, took several times outside to get used to that ring. Chilly stuck like glue for the first trip around, then slowly relaxed and moved more and more back to her normal leading position. (I like them to follow slightly behind and on a loose rein) We walked over the trail obstacles set up, and even sniffed the bridge all over and put her front feet up on it. She wasn't ready to walk across it, but she wasn't afraid to touch it or put her feet on it, just not all feet at the same time. We then had a light lunge, where she acted like she got worked in this pen each and every day for the entire summer. She has all of the best parts of both sides of her family tree.
Oscar is doing good, he even whinnied at me last night when I was at the barn. I think he just wanted his supper, but it was nice to hear him trying to get my attention. Our ride on Tuesday was good we're finally figuring each other out again. I've been working him in more of a dressage frame, trying to get him to lift his back and strengthen his back and hips, and hes really getting into it. I was asking him to extend and come back to a regular trot and he was really getting into it! We also did some shoulder in, and hip in, all stuff to keep both of our bodies and minds working together.
I got my IV tonight so I had time to write this all down, were also getting some pro photos done on the weekend of our family so hopefully I'll have some of them to share next week.

2 comments:
Lots of great news!
Reading your post put a smile on my face. :-)
Post a Comment