Saturday, December 22, 2012

Good news on the RA front

I went and saw Dr. O on Friday.  Got some good news in regard to my blood tests.  She told me that my blood results were the best she has seen from me in the entire time she has been seeing me.  I also get to cut out on a pill which has never really agreed with me.  All of that is good news.  She was also really positive about my change to gluten free, which so far is really showing some benefits.

I do think that the new drugs and the chiropractor are both helping me feel better than I have in a very long time.  At times when I feel like I'm having a hard day, this blog has been great about allowing me to remember how bad it was a couple of years ago, and see the progress I've made in battling this illness.

3 comments:

in2paints said...

I'm so glad to hear about the progress! I know a few people who are also choosing to go gluten free and it has helped them tremendously with their issues. I hope you continue to see improvement!

FD said...

Hi, I feel a bit cheeky commenting, hope you don't mind, but I saw this as I was randomly blog hopping and felt the need to reply. (I've seen you around on mugwump chronicles, but still...)

I have coeliac disease (dignosed in my twenties) and RA runs in my family. It's not a diagnosis I officially had but pre-gluten free my joints would intermittently swell and ache. However, post-gluten-free, I have far fewer problems with that - no swelling and only the predicable aches in the joints that I have damage and osteo arthritis in. It's made a huge difference to me.
The other thing I wanted to share is that my GP is a believer in the cluster theory of auto-immune diseases, and screens me yearly for thyroid issues because that is strongly associated with both rhematoid and coeliac and it's something many doctors don't automatically screen for.

One tip I would share is that medication can be a problem sometimes for coeliacs - many pills have a gluten containing binder /coating and it's not at all an intuitive thing to think to look for! And I hear you on lablels - it gets really old and the worst thing is that you can never stop checking - my favourite supermarket brand of cream cheese recently reformulated and now has gluten in it - it's not something that you'd automatically think to check for gluten would you?

Justaplainsam said...

Thanks for the comments in2paints and FD. I've been doing it for several weeks now and can really notice the difference. It really is the odd things that get you.

And FD I have had problems with my thyroid in the past and is something that we still we keep an eye on.