So I had a bit of a light bulb moment the other night. During my schooling session with Lu yesterday (in our english saddle but in the indoor!, more on our workout tonight in the outdoor later) I was asking him to side pass and at first he kept backing up.... One leg off one leg on and asking him to step over and he would just back up... I knew it was something I was doing, and eventually I got him to side pass by opening up my rein in the direction I wanted him to go in, but it got me thinking.
If Lucas is backing up with just one leg pressure, how often do I ride without even leg pressure? He was obvously thinking that I wanted him to back up like I do when I apply both spurs at the same time at the halt. Thankfully he's adapted to me and my differences, and I know that other people can ride him without issue but what will it be like if I ride a different horse? I realize that my right leg is always a bit further back and it has significantly less pressure with it but Lucas and I just deal with it. What would another horse do with me on its back?
In other news we had a mini showmanship lesson tonight with C, Lu was an idiot on the lungline, I really think he's bored going outside only with him self, and he had lots of energy to burn tonight so he ran a fair bit on the lunge line, he really needs a good rip every now and again!
Showmanship was good, hes being an occaional ass about the grass still but he needs to learn his lesson that he cant have it whenever he wants. And we kind of attempted the bridge, (which he refuses to walk on) even attempted to walk him over the narrow part, just to put one foot on it (its about 4 feet long and 3 feet wide so we attempted to go over the 3' part) And Lucas just decided to 'slow motion' jump the bridge! Very low and slow over it but extreamly funny because he was NOT touching the bridge!
Were off to an App and open show on the weekend that the Ex boyfriend is running with his sister. Should be an intresting weekend!
2 comments:
It's funny you mention that Lucas is making you "unbroke". I think I'm at that stage with Lilly too. When I get on a friend's horse, I feel like everything is completely foreign. Lilly and I are just so much in sync that even if it would be really confusing to another horse, she gets it.
Such good horses we have!
I am just learning how to do the side pass. More often then not, Gem backs up when I ask for it. I will have to try opening my rein up and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
Post a Comment