Lucas was very good. I went up and waited at the cone to go first. We had a good right lead canter, a good stop. The turn was OK, but a bit rough as I was trying to prep him for the left lead canter, which we got! That was the same one that we've had trouble with! He got his head up in the air at the end of the circle but came back for the extended jog transitions. Our transitions were correct and at the cones, but we lacked the smothness that the top 2 riders had.Showmanship:
This pattern was tricky because of the right turn at the second cone with a trot transition just as you round the corner. I did the first 2 steps of the corner than picked up the trot. You also had to be looking around the corner to line up with the judge correctly. Lucas did his usual perfect pivot which allowed me to look for the judge as we were finishing the pivot to line up perfectly. We had a quick set-up (only had to move 2 feet) and a good inspection. (it helped that Lucas was shed out and clipped correctly, which some of the horses weren't!) Crisp 90 degree turn and a trot off into the line up.
And the only picture of us that I have so far (the photographer hasn't uploaded any yet) of me and Lucas waiting for our turn in horsemanship. As you can see we weren't quite turned out to show, in my showmanship jacket, blue jeans and helmet!
I do have to say that I did wear my approved helmet all weekend and it didn't seem to affect my placings in anything so I'm going to stick with it for all of the shows this summer. Its no hotter than my hunt cap, but a lot safer. My biggest head gear problem is my western hats, they all fit good for showing halter but are a bit too lose to ride in! I guess that's what happens when you pick out showing gear when you are only showing halter!
I also had an appointment with my RA doctor. Shes happy that Im happy, but she isn't impressed with my blood work or the swelling in my fingers. Thankfully she's giving me the summer without changing too many meds, just adding a new one that I have been on before (it didn't do much before, but I took it very early on in my illness).
She's not too worried about my lack of fine moter skills in my right leg, she thinks it may be a muscle issue due to the swelling more than just excessive swelling. She advised on doing some physio but its hard to find a sports oriented physiotherapist around here.
I think that the truth of the matter is that its the same leg that I broke 6 years ago and it just didn't heal right. (Its always never twisted right, I cant pick up my right struipp when riding if my foot slips off, I have to stop and replace.) Meanwhile its a good opportunity to see how much we can adjust Lucas to me. Thankfully he is very good with voice commands already, I told him he was going to have to work with me, that my body doesn't always work right, and he has so far. Hes good with all of the Velcro of my braces, canes, and huge mounting blocks already. I just thought I would have a little longer to be normal.

No comments:
Post a Comment