Friday, May 13, 2011

We are so not ready to show

Let alone in 2 weeks! I worked Lucas under saddle last night for the first time in a while and he was a tool. There is really no other way to put it. He forgot how to turn, how to stop, what he was supposed do with that thing in his mouth, and worst of all he was rooting and pulling on the reins. That has always been a big no-no and he knows it. So we got some bucks and spins and transitions into the canter that I didn't want. We got some good trot (forward flowing and balanced) at the end but he was so silly about the first 20 min I was still disappointed with the ride. I even tied him around last night after I got off, trying to get him to stop bracing against the bit.

Tonight he got WORKED on the lunge line in side reins, then just the one rein on the side that he was bracing on. He was still fighting it but at least he was only fighting himself and not my hands. I also sweated his neck tonight for the first time ever, and he did not know what to expect about that.

We have a show in 2 weeks, I know that if I trust him when we walk into that show ring it will be ok, but pulling shit like that that he did the other night makes me loose confidence. He's 10 shouldn't he be broke by now?

And you know what, tonight Lucas nickered for his carrots. He doesn't do it often, hes not a very vocal horse at all, but its so cute when he does it, I think he surprises himself some nights when he does it!

In other news my RA specialist has me using a Nedi-pot to flush out my sinus in hopes of trying to get rid of the infection. As much as I dislike using it, it does seem to be working, fingers crossed that it will finally be the end of it.

1 comment:

in2paints said...

Lilly was a brat today too... must be something in the air!!