Well I most likely will complain, but I will try to remember how stinking hot this past couple of weeks have been and how nice it would be for a couple of days in the 20 to 25 range.
It was 31 degrees by the time Lucy and I were ready to ride this morning at 9:30! Our lunging consisted of 5 laps at the lope each direction, then I hoped on. D had talked to me this morning about how my canter transitions needed to be my focus for the next week or so as that is where we have a hole. So I worked on some walk/trot transitions for a bit than D came up and worked us though some lope/trot transitions. The sad part is both of us (Lucy and I) know what needs to be done to get a good transition, but I rush her, then she gets flustered and runs into the lope. We just need to slow it down.
We did work on counter cantering today in an attempt for me to keep my 'inside' leg (the one not asking for the canter lead) OFF of Lucy so that she picks up the lead I'm asking for and not just trying to pick one depending on the direction we are going. This is a big thing for our pattern classes as we don't have the rail to help me get her on the right lead. This is RA related, the pressure that I can apply with either leg isn't the same, and can change from day to day. Thankfully Lucy doesn't get upset when this happens but just kind of deals with it.
We also worked on some loping half passes. Again to get her responding to the leg I was asking her to step away from into my 'open' inside leg. After that we were done! Too hot to do much more than that, so Lucy got a hose down and liniment applied and got to relax in the shade of the main barn for the day. I'm doing chores later tonight so I'll put her out for the night.
Watching Spruce Meadows this afternoon, I love Mac Cone being a commentator!
1 comment:
I was at the barn on Sunday and I thought I was going to pass out with the heat. We are hovering around the 40C mark taking into account the humidity. No lesson last week and none tonight. We hope that the thunder showers they are predicting at the end of the week will give us some relief. Stay cool!
Post a Comment