Sunday, May 13, 2012

First show of the year

Well we ended up going to the show today after all.  Lucas was happy and sound this morning (not a huge surprise considering that he did get some bute last night) and when I took him out to lunge him at 10 before we left he even let out a little buck.

I did end up doing only showmanship.  We weren't really ready to show under saddle anyways so we left the saddle at home.  When we got there I got him settled in the stall, while I got registered and got unpacked. 

I took him out and lunged him for 10 min to get him used to the sights and sounds and he was good, if a little edgy.  Our pattern was very simple, walk 1/2 way to judge, 360, trot to judge and set up, 180 trot back to the line and back four steps. 

We nailed a crisp and good pattern, he was a little fussy about the bugs but stood like a rock for the judge's inspection.  We won, but I wish we had more competition, winning over horses that don't pivot, or against people who go off pattern isn't much of a challenge...

He was a little "off" about the commotion and everything at the show, normally he just blocks it out and goes to work, but stupid things were making him cranky (which is what I'm like when I'm a a little sore too) so I'm glad we stuck with the showmanship and finished the show on a good note, he got his molasses cookie. 

I'm off tomorrow so I'll go out and take him for a walk/trot around on the line to make sure hes still fine, but I think we dodged a bullet on this one.

2 comments:

in2paints said...

Congratulations on your showmanship win! I'm glad to hear that Lucas is doing okay, even if he is a little sore. What a SCARY thing to have happen!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Congratulations on your win! I think it was a good idea to only do showmanship to start with. Glad it all went okay.