Monday, February 14, 2011

When did I fall in love with Lucas

Since everyone seems to be doing a post about why and when they fell in love with there horses, I thought that I should do the same (now that Im done complaining about him!)

I actually didnt truly fall in love with Lucas until mid-July August of last summer. I purchased Lucas in November 2009, but he was supposed be a re-sale project. Even during the first few shows of the summer that was always in the back of my mind. I wanted him safe and sound and winning or placing a fair bit by the end of the summer so that I could start looking for a new home for him (hopefully that would make me a bit of money).

It was really when my knee exploded (well swelled to a huge size) and I couldn't ride him more than 2 or 3 times in between shows. It was like we finally started to click when we did go to the shows. We weren't fighting each other all the time, and it felt like we had trust in each other. It was really the first time Ive been able to develop trust and respect without forcing a horse to do it. He babysat me when he really could have taken advantage of me.

That to me was the key, and that made him worth his weight in gold to me. He can be pigheaded (and so can I!) at home and when Im feeling good, but when Im having a truly bad day he steps up to the plate every time with a gold medal performance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow, the good ones know when you need them to do the right thing - he sounds like a great guy!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Lucas sounds like a sweet guy. I'm not surprised you fell for him. Any horse who will take care of you when you're down is worth his weight in gold.

Wolfie said...

Great that you found each other. :-)