Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sam's version of my favorite things,

So as I sit here recovering (and doing really well the temperature is just about normal all of the time) I thought I would do a Favorite Things (like Oprah, but the horsey edition). These are a couple of things that make my life with Lucas easier, and stuff we just like. I hope everyone does there own as well!


Starting with this saddle pad. Nope not the ez-view pad, but a Canadian version from Greenhawk. When on sale (which happens about 3-4 times a year) it runs around $35.00 the same price as the ez view's, but I can pick it up 10 minutes from my work and not worry about shipping. Best part is that it fits my 18" extra long, forward flap saddle perfectly.


Also from greenhawk is the Val du Bois padded, raised fancy stitched bridle that I bought for Lucas last year to show in. It was about $100 plus tax, but a very high quality leather. It looks really nice on him (because he stays so dark), and the padding matches my saddle so it doesn't look like a complete mis-mash of tack.



Hooks from sstack.com!!! Love these and well worth the $1-5 that you would pay for them!!

Another sstack favorite, the Adjusta-Fit® Dura-Nylon® V-Free™ Sheet. The v-free means that there is no seam (and there for less pressure) on a horse with decent withers. This is a closed front sheet, but the adjusta-fit straps make it much easier to use than a traditional buckle front.
Blue Lotion, the best liniment ever. A standerdbreed trainer showed me this one day and I've kept using it both on horses and myself. Chiropractor loves the stuff!



And finally, the bit that Lucas loves, a ported barrel with slots. Basically each side works independently of the other, which is what he needs the most at shows going into a corner when hes in a full trot. Bridle attaches to the top spaces reins to the bottom, curb chain also gets attached to the top slots. Im hoping that this summer I will be showing him in just the twisted wire, but this helps in situations when Lucas trys to run away at the open shows. (see our posts in May and July)






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often use a ported Mylar snaffle much like the one you've shown. I don't use it with a curb chain, and prefer it without slots. It's a bit that works well for horses who like stability in the bit and who have large tongues.