C and D left last Sunday for a week long horse show, and I've been doing most of the chores for the 13 horses left at the barn. I do have someone doing the AM feeding and turnout but it still leaves me 8 stalls, and 4 horses to rotate though the smaller turnouts (Both studs and the babies (2) can't be left outside). Its been taking 2 hours exactly to do chores but it means that I leave my house at 6:30 get home for 10 minutes at 5, then gone to the barn until 7:45.
Since they've been gone, Chevy took the gate to the indoor off its hinges (thankfully I was only steps away when he did this and I was able to catch him before he got anywhere). I didn't realize it at the time but he was itching on the gate because he was in the beginnings of an allergy outbreak. By the time I got back to the barn 24 hours later he was an absolute mess, covered in hives. (Don't get me started on why it wasn't noticed by the AM person...). So he's on drugs, finally tonight he was *almost* back to normal.
One of the broodmares is getting picked on by the other mare she is out with but I can't separate them because then they cry for each other. And with no one in the barn full time I don't dare try another turn out buddies. It wasn't too bad (occasional bite mark) but then the smaller mare got kicked on Wednesday (upper shoulder) and had a huge swelling and hole (other mares feet are a mess, can't get a farrier near her and she will only let C and D work on her feet for 5 minutes at a time). Thankfully the cut was clean, I got it flushed out and doctored and today it's looking a lot better. Shes been sound on it the entire time thankfully.
Oh and then the Jack Russels....one is 12 the other is 7, the younger dog body checked the older dog (by accident!) and I thought she killed the old dog! Poor little S cried and cried, but when I found her a hot dog she cheered up enough to come running up the steps for it. Those dog's make me happy, they listen so well to me, and god knows if a Jack doesn't want to listen nothing can make them! But they've been very obedient for me all week.
Hopefully I'll get to ride this weekend and we'll be back on track for the show next weekend. Lucy actually came to the gate tonight when I was there, I think she's looking for my brushes ;) (Lucy lives outside most of the time, so shes' been having an extended vacation)
No comments:
Post a Comment