But I'm as good once as I ever was. I'm learning to live with RA. Its been years, but I finally feel like I'm almost riding really good again. Like before I was sick. I've had a couple of moments over the past two rides where I'm fixing and feeling stuff with Lucy that is improving each time that I ride. I'm not really doing any specific exercise to make it better, but as my muscle memory improves or something I'm able to get more out of the two of us.
Like getting her hip to the inside to help with her loping transitions. When we started I couldn't get much side movement from her, tonight I was able to bend her around my inside leg to get her to lope off correctly, and without her running into the transition. I'm not spinning her around with my spurs or anything, but as we both get fitter and more used to each other we're improving by leaps and bounds.
Tonight was her 5th ride in a shank bit (6th ride ever in a shank bit) and we were able to do most of our walk/trot work one handed. Our loping needs two hands for our transitions but its coming.
I had a good talk with Oscar's owner on the weekend, she's really happy with how Oscar is going and how relaxed and easy he is this year compared to years previously. We talked about bit options to show in pleasure with and she might try one that I found that he liked.
Its going to sound funny to some, but I personally never thought that I was a great rider, even at my best when I was keeping jumpers tuned up, or when I was prepping horses for the show ring. Lucy has made me feel like I actually know what I'm doing, and its so nice to ride a horse that makes you look good!
I did find tonight I sat a bit more in the center of my saddle and it helped me keep from bracing against the back of the saddle. I'm still dealing with some pain issues in the left upper side of my back, but hopefully the chiropractor can figure that out tomorrow. I can do this!
2 comments:
I'm so happy to hear you're finally feeling better. I know that must be a great feeling. Having a horse like Lucy to ride is definitely icing on the cake!
It's a great feeling to be building back up and riding effectively!
Post a Comment